Senior Operations Manager
Hosts Destinations Services a Destination Management Company “DMC” seeks dynamic & hard-working operations professional to operate special events, transportation management services, tour & evening activity programs to meeting and incentive management companies and in-coming corporate & association conventions of 100 – 20,000+ attendees. The ideal candidate will have integrity and a passion for the industry and will conduct all business matters fairly, honestly and ethically and with the utmost professionalism.
Summary of essential job functions
- Assume full responsibility for managing all aspects of the travel program. Ground services, including arrivals, departures, and event transfers; tours, dine-arounds, VIP assistance, Show Tickets, Venue Buy Outs, Registration staffing, food and beverage plus other requests as the program requires.
- Prepare detailed written instructions known as a Schedule of Services that lists all the information as it pertains to a program. This document also includes but is not limited to confirmation numbers, staffing information, BEOs, and Vendor documentation.
- Brief field staff on program assignments, client requirements, and operational details.
- Schedule staff as required for each assigned program, and assume responsibility for field staff throughout the program.
- Select and secure appropriate vendors and suppliers to match client and contract requirements that meet the budget. Purchase wisely, control costs, and strive to improve profit margins without sacrificing service.
- Constantly seek opportunities for up-selling from first interaction with the client to onsite operations.
- Obtain appropriate client approvals for changes, additions and cancellations.
- Review and approve operational expenses for the program, including field staff time sheets, invoices, and petty cash requests.
- Update Excel Program Book as soon as information changes and becomes available for each program. Updates include but are not limited to, adding approved costs, inserting AMEX Charges for advance deposits.
- Maintain appropriate and accurate documentation in each program file.
- Submit timely requests for on-site checks, advance deposits and petty cash that are required for each program.
- Schedule a preliminary billing meeting after the program’s completion for Trip Directors to review and approve.
- Prepare final client invoice and Program Cost Analysis within appropriate time frames determined by management. HDS has 10 business days from programs completion to get the client the final invoice.
- Reconcile petty cash advances at program’s completion & submit report to Accounting
- Review Profit Margin and pay all outstanding invoices to vendors upon programs completion.
- Identify future sales opportunities, specifically the location of the next event for each client or any future programs that HDS may assist.
- Consult with and maintain a professional rapport with sales managers throughout the entire program. Communication with the sales manager includes; Turnover Meetings (from proposal to contract reviewing all details), Vendor communication, Client communication and daily updates throughout the operation of the program.
- Coordinate with all related suppliers (including security, transportation, venues and staff) prior to program to ensure effective information sharing and smooth operation. Secure dock space, communicate with security & hotel.
- Schedule of Services will be completed for all staff and client(s) (with vendor information removed) and signed off on by all parties 3 days prior to program.
- Communicate with all Convention Services Managers or Venue Manager so that expectations are met.
- Conduct client pre-convention meetings to review all details of the program and any last minute changes or additions to ensure effective information sharing and efficient operations during the program.
- Update the Account Executives on a daily basis of the operations of the program.
- Communicate irregular client requests and report operational problems to the Account Executive immediately so that a solution may be provided.
- Maintain constant presence and availability to client throughout program operations to include: cell phone on and available throughout the program, meeting the client so they feel a comfort level, being present at load ins and start of events.
- Manager will be required to develop comprehensive proposals in conjunction with Account Executives and the Product Development Manager to deliver operationally sound services to our clients.
- Attend Vendor presentations to stay in close communication with up and coming new ideas and venues.
- Attend Site Inspections with Sales Manager if a logistical site is required. Operations Manager is present to answer questions, and give logistical sound answers.
- Provide biannual Field Staff training on to share policies, relevant training, best practices
- Assist with recruitment and hiring future operations managers, as well as onboarding and training
- Develop vendor relationships and negotiate partnerships on behalf of Hosts
Hosts Internal Office Duties
- Manage the effective implementation and utilization of company-wide software systems including the Excel Program Book, Shiftboard staffing software, and proposal writing/pricing software
- Understand and enforce all HDS policies and procedures within the office
- Understand HDS philosophy and embrace inter-departmental cross-training and support opportunities.
- Perform any and all managerial and administrative duties deemed appropriate by HDS corporate management to promote success of Hosts Chicago
- 5 years of operations experience in DMC, Special Events, Hotel or Hospitality related industries and an established base of contacts
- Bachelors degree recommended
- CMP or DMCP certification preferred
- A solid understanding of corporate and association meetings is essential
- Hands-on experience producing special events, managing transportation and tour programs is a plus
- Confident presentation and written skills
- Financial acumen and understanding of pricing models and GPM
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects
- Organized, detail-oriented and an ability to multi-task
- Creative thinker, successful troubleshooter
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Capacity to work within tight timeframes
- An eagerness to stay in tune with what’s new and changing
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with a sense of humor and enthusiasm
- Conduct all business matters fairly, honestly and ethically and with the utmost professionalism.
The job requires the ability to fully manage events as necessary which last between 1-7 days. These time intensive demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.