General Manager/Business Unit Leader (BUL) is responsible for employing the Hosts company mission and vision, to actively engage and develop employees, as well as to strategically direct and manage the day to day business operations of Hosts DC. They are responsible for managing the business unit budget in all regards. Unit Leaders must strive for the maximum client satisfaction, working to build brand loyalty for the organization and must have strong local relationships and hospitality market understanding (locally and understanding of trends globally). Unit Leader is also responsible instilling a positive corporate culture built upon professional development, growth, and the mutual success of the individual and company.
Summary of essential candidate criteria:
- Ability and experience in developing overarching strategy and processes for effective teamwork and high-touch business relations in a fast-paced industry
- Experience with objectively self-assessing as well as evaluating, mentoring, and coaching direct reports and mentees
- Experience holding others accountable to high performance standards
- Advanced proficiency of administrative tools and processes and delegation with direction
- Demonstrates high level financial acumen
- Manages resources effectively to generate maximum positive results within multiple departments, which align/contribute to the company as a whole
- Advanced interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to build and maintain trust and respect as well as build momentum and lead through inspiration with energy
- Operates with a sense of urgency and purpose
- Strategic thinker
- High emotional intelligence
The job responsibilities for the position include, but are not limited to:
- Understand and teach processes and systems of Hosts DC, as well as develop and improve upon existing processes with other Hosts business unit leaders for the greater good of the organization
- Utilize (and occasionally create) tools of team assessment and performance evaluation metrics to continually enhance professional and skill development within business unit (directly or through effective management of/collaboration with department leaders/directors)
- Responsible for understanding and teaching core platforms of business operation (proposal writing and product development software, CRM platform, internal standard operating procedures, et al.)
- Manages Hosts DC P&L through skilled and strategic decision making, business planning, and by creating interdepartmental efficiency
- Works granularly with and for business unit; to understand team challenges and successes working to create solutions, while also effectively communicating with Hosts leadership team (other GMs, VPS, Presidents) to maintain aligned and purposeful growth throughout company (note that this includes occasional travel for training and teamwork)
- Ability and experience in developing overarching strategy and process for business unit and with other BUL’s for Hosts at large
- Responsible for investing in employees through hires and/or skills training, teaching pricing and margin management, managing ROI on sales and marketing investments, etc.
- Have and teach understanding of the services that a Destination Management Company provides to their clients
- Ability to analyze and qualify business opportunities, specifically assisting with business development for Hosts DC and the brand at large
- Strategically source new market/client opportunities to increase sales revenue
- Manage Salesforce and general financial reporting
- Ability to build and apply strategic business plans and guide tactics
- Mastery of communication skills and styles in order to get the best results from business prospects, clients, and employees in any setting
- Ability to create (and teach others to create) brand loyalty
- Plan/carry out/support time sensitive marketing activities
- Communicate, liaise, and negotiate internally and externally using appropriate methods to facilitate the development of profitable business and sustainable relationships
- Attend and present at external customer meetings and internal meetings with other company members to promote the brand and/or secure brand recognition for Hosts and business/relationships
College degree. At least 8+ years in the hospitality industry. Candidate must also have a solid foundation in Microsoft Office Suite, Salesforce or similar Client Management software. Previous leadership experience. Must be looking for a challenge and excited for the opportunity to lead (as a business in a competitive market, and as a leader of passionate people). Flexibility and openness to new ideas or initiatives crucial. Being a team player imperative who is able to consider conflicting perspectives and navigate with autonomy and collaboration.
The job also requires the ability to work trade shows which last between 1-3 days. These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.